It all began back in 1890 when Giuseppe and Bernadina Giolitti opened a creamery on the Salita del Grillo, where they sold milk from their own pastures in the Roman countryside. Very soon, thanks to the quality of the products, the creamery was supplying the Italian royal family.
Within a few years, new "Giolitti" stores opened, among which the historic home of the family business at Via Uffici del Vicario 40. It was here that Nazzareno Giolitti and his wife Giuseppina decided to add a vegetarian restaurant to the creamery and begin the production of ice cream of ice cream.
After World War One, the store went from strength to strength, rapidly becoming one of the most renowned ice-cream parlours of the city. Nazzareno’s son, Silvano, had a great love for ice-cream and personally created the recipes that are jealously guarded by his 3 children to this day.
Today, after three generations, you can enjoy the same authentic tastes and flavours of those early days; our fresh and natural products making our ice-cream known throughout the world. The store is a meeting place for Romans and for numerous polticians from the nearby Chamber of Deputies, as well as being a “must” for the foreign visitors who come to the city all year round. In 1960 we opened a store by the lakeside in EUR and a growing number of francises are opening around the world.